A Quick Quiz to Determine if You’re Hiding Your Greatest Potential
In one of the most quoted paragraphs in recent decades, Marianne Williamson challenges us to let our light shine.
Your playing small does not serve anyone and it robs the world of your gifts and your greater potential.
She urges us to recognize:
“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure . . .”
How do you know you’re “playing small or blocking your light”?
Your answers to these next 5 questions will give you a hint. If you’re playing small, choose a strategy that will help you play bigger.
- Do more than half the people in your sphere of influence know what you’re passionate about and what you’re skilled or expert at? What can you do to “let the cat out of the bag” and show them what you’re all about?
- When an opportunity to have or do something you truly want comes up do you seize it or do you step back and let someone else have it? How and when does that happen? What can you do differently next time?
- When you have an innovative idea or possible solution to a challenge do you speak up and share freely or do you hesitate, hold back or wait to be asked for your input? What’s your reason/rationalization for doing so? What’s a stretch you can make when the next opportunity shows up?
- Do you give 100% when you participate in something or do you first gauge what others are contributing? What would you like to do differently? How will you do it?
- Do you back up your promises with action? Especially the promises you make to yourself! What promises have you made to yourself and have failed to keep (repeatedly)? Follow through today on at least one commitment you’ve made to yourself.
If you notice any of your answers reveal habits that throw a bushel basket over your light, decide now to make a change.
Choose, intentionally, to make your “bigger self” response next time you’re in a similar situation. Focus on one habit at a time and notice how other “light blocking” behaviors start shifting too.
Play BIG! The world needs you.
An excerpt from “Stop That! Start This! How Getting What You Want Can Be Easier and Way More Fun Than You Think!” by Deborah Battersby